Hello Dan,

Sunday, November 7, 2004, 8:13:17 PM, you wrote:

> I'm running on a Celeron 1.8G with only 256M of ram. 2,000 emails/day.
> Average elapsed time for SA scans: 2,988.43 ms. (Max: 94 seconds. Second
> highest: 21 seconds) I'd say you've got something wrong<g>.

Since there aren't so many emails traveling through that server of
mine (it's a test setup really, the target platform will be something
like you have, haven't decided yet), i've decreased the number of child
processes (threads) to 1 by setting `-m 1` on the command line. This
increased performance considerably and my average now is somewhere
between 2 and 8 seconds.

spamd[3868]: identified spam (23.3/5.0) for p3scan:150 in 6.7 seconds, 3888
bytes.

I can safely do this because I use SA together with P3Scan so there is
always just one client connecting to spamd, I'm the only one testing.
One child process should be enough, the other four were just wasting
resources...

> I'm running the default ruleset from 3.0.1 distro with:
> score BAYES_00 -4.9
> score BAYES_01 -2.0
> score BAYES_10 -1.5
> score BAYES_20 -1.0
> score BAYES_30 -0.5
> score BAYES_40 0.1
> score BAYES_44 0.7
> score BAYES_50 1.0
> score BAYES_56 1.5
> score BAYES_60 2.1
> score BAYES_70 3.1
> score BAYES_80 4.2
> score BAYES_90 4.9
> score BAYES_99 5.4
> score DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL 4
> score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 4
> score RCVD_IN_DSBL 4
> score RCVD_IN_SBL 4
> score RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL 4
> score RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB 4
> score SPF_FAIL 2
> score SPF_HELO_FAIL 2
> score URIBL_SBL 4
> score URIBL_SBL 4
> score URIBL_WS_SURBL 4
> trusted_networks 172.0.0.0/8

> in my local.cf

I still need to get through *all* of the available documentation and
find out what all that means really... ;) I'm a newbie :$

> Oh, I didn't read far enough to see the machine specs! Ouch!

> Mine (I thought it was a "toy" server, Celeron at that) is probably doing so
> well because I'm on a fairly idle T1 so all the DNS traffic is pretty fast.
> But my "toy" is a lot more than 166 Mhz. A 2Ghz Cheapo CPU/Motherboard/0.5G
> ram is probably $300 or less. Check TigerDirect or somewhere and UPGRADE
> THAT PUPPY!

:) will do! I like my puppy though ;)

--
Henri.