From: "Loren Wilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Mine (I thought it was a "toy" server, Celeron at that) is probably
doing
> so
> > well because I'm on a fairly idle T1 so all the DNS traffic is pretty
> fast.
> > But my "toy" is a lot more than 166 Mhz. A 2Ghz Cheapo
> CPU/Motherboard/0.5G
> > ram is probably $300 or less. Check TigerDirect or somewhere and UPGRADE
> > THAT PUPPY!
>
> I agree with the last sentence, but what is really critical here is
memory.
> We ran a P5 166 for about a year before replacing it, and it was dealing
> with most stuff in well under 10 seconds.  Abouth twice the mail traffic
the
> OP has.  The difference was that we had 256M on the machine rather than
64M.

We still run the P5 166. It takes about 30 to 40 seconds per message on
average. The Athlon "2GHz" piles through the messages in about a second
and small change. It has a megabyte of memory. (You're still processed
on the slow machine. I'm tuning the faster machine and may switch it over
soon.)

> Granted a bigger and faster machine would be nice.  But a 166 is plenty
fast
> enough to deal with 2K mail/day if it has a boatload of ram.

More RAM should make a 2:1 to 3:1 improvement in processing time based
on the speeds of the two machine here.

{^_^}