Hello Bill,

On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 03:55:48PM -0400, Bill Cole wrote:
> This is a critical fact. It indicates that your spamd and the spamassassin
> script you are running are definitely using different SpamAssassin
> configurations, possibly different versions of the SpamAssassin
> distribution, and or possibly even different versions of Perl.

I am very sure that there are no other versions of SpamAssassin, Perl and
Net::DNS lying around.

> Determining what config the spamassassin script is using is fairly easy:
> 'spamassassin -D generic,config,diag  --lint' will give you all the details.
> Figuring out what spamd is using is less simple (and system-specific) but
> since you've been maintaining a system by hand for a long time I expect
> you'll be able to figure out how to do so safely.

This does not sound very helpful of you so I did some debugging on my own and
have more information:

The problem only occurs only when spamd is started in the homedir of root. If
I start it in any other directory (including subdirs of /root), Net:DNS
behaves like it should: $answer->rdatastr in dnsbl_uri in Dns.pm contains IP
addresses in dotted quad notation, like 127.0.0.3. If I start spamd in /root,
$answer->rdatastr contains strings like "\# 4 7f000003" instead. This occurs
regardless of any -x or -u flags to spamd.

So being in /root when started changes the behavior of spamd. Is it possible
that this is a timing issue? Could "\# 4 7f000003" be some unprocessed
response that would be converted to 127.0.0.3 a moment later? Or is there
some other explanation for this?

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--