Hello Bill,

On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 02:33:08AM -0400, Bill Cole wrote:
> So I guess I was right?

I don't think so.

> Is there a tree of Perl modules under /root?

No. I actually just reproduced the problem with a completely empty /root:

cd /
mkdir root1
chmod go= root1
mv root root.old ; mv root1 root
cd
spamd

(Should have done this before, sorry).

> A normal startup of spamd (by sysvinit, Upstart, systemd, etc.) is what you
> need to diagnose, not a manual startup from a login shell. None of those
> normally should put the daemon in /root as a working directory.

People restart services at runtime by calling init scripts. Those may or may
not change the working directory. Mine did not (now they do).

I don't think spamd should behave differently depending on the working
directory (maybe depending on what's in it - but not depending on the
working directory itself).

> No, it's not a timing issue. The root cause is that Net::DNS::RR->rdatastr()
> should never have been relied upon by SA to have any particular format
> because it was always poorly documented and quietly vanished from the
> documentation (but not the code) for Net::DNS::RR.pm  in 0.69. What it
> actually contains is a function of the specific DNS record and what server
> generated the response, making an explanation for any specific oddity
> something of a guessing game.

Well this oddity seems to be *very* odd.

> More recently, there have been multiple other changes in various components
> of the Net-DNS distribution that have caused other problems in SA, and they
> may interact with the rdatastr issue. These issues have all been addressed
> in the current SA code, both in the 'trunk' and in the 3.4 branch which will
> (hopefully soon) become the 3.4.2 release. Many (most? all?) packagers of SA
> maintaining it for major platforms have incorporated some or all of the
> necessary DNS-related fixes. I've attached a patch that aggregates all of
> the fixes to this message. You could also install SA from the current 3.4
> branch or the last 3.4.2 release candidate package, or if you're
> adventurous, from the SVN 'trunk' that will eventually yield v4.0.

Yes I tried the 3.4 and the trunk checkout with the current Net::DNS before
writing to the list. They both had problems with make test while 3.4.1 did
not so I decided that downgrading Net::DNS would be safer.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer