On 30 Aug 2018, at 12:40, Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 08/30/2018 10:16 AM, Bill Cole wrote:
>> It's hard to understand this circumstance based on the generic description.
>>
>> It appears that you have a configuration where a relay is in
>> trusted_networks (i.e. you believe what it asserts in Received headers) but
>> it is NOT in internal_networks so it is in the synthetic
>> X-Spam-Relays-External pseudo-header, it is the only element in
>> X-Spam-Relays-External so the message matches__DOS_SINGLE_EXT_RELAY, and it
>> has no rDNS so the message matches __RDNS_NONE.
>>
>> So: why is that nameless machine that you cannot make a named machine NOT in
>> internal_networks?
>
> I don't know if this is the OP's case or not, but the following example comes
> to mind.
>
> SA (running on your receiving MTA) receives a message from an MTA (which is
> itself an MSA) of an external Business-to-Business partner (thus a trusted
> MTA that is not internal to the recipient's organization) which itself
> received the message from a client on an RFC 1918 network without reverse DNS.

If that MSA is requiring authentication (as it should) and recording that in
the Received header (as it should) then as I understand it, the handoff of the
message will not be considered for __RDNS_NONE.

>> Of course not, but if a machine is trusted to tell the truth in Received
>> headers and has no rDNS because it is talking to a close affiliate on a
>> RFC1918 IP, in what sense is it not internal?
>
> Trusting a B2B partner's external MTA.

OK, but in that case the MTA would use an IP that should be in trusted_networks
and have rDNS.

>> Or is it in internal_networks but there's something wrong in how SA is
>> parsing Received headers to build X-Spam-Relays-External?
>>

>> I think the fix for all is for everyone to get their internal_networks and
>> trusted_networks configurations correct.
>
> What should trusted_networks and internal_networks be set to in the B2B
> scenario I'm describing?

The partner machine's IP should be in trusted_networks AND should have rDNS as
an explicit technical requirement of the cooperation, which is entirely
reasonable.