On 30 Aug 2018, at 18:02, Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 08/30/2018 03:50 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
>> That will depend on how that particular MTA constructs its Received headers
>> in relation to the parsing in
>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Message::Metadata::Received, which is non-trivial to
>> describe in human language.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Would it be possible for this scenario to present with the symptoms that the
> OP described?

I don't think so, given the description, but maybe.

Mail::SpamAssassin::Message::Metadata::Received implements a baroque ad hoc
parsing mechanism that has been adapted organically for most of 2 decades and
which "knows" many special cases where a particular Received header pattern
indicates a trusted hand-off.

My understanding is that the client lacking rDNS in this case is talking
directly to the SA host, which is a simpler case.

> Thank you for humoring me as I try to learn.

No problem. I make no claim to knowing absolutely everything about how the
*_networks and Received header parsing behaves, or even to know better than
anyone else in particular, but I've fought with it a bunch...