On 2024-06-05 04:44, Rob McEwen via users wrote:

 From "Frido Otten" <fr...@0tten.nl <mailto:fr...@0tten.nl>>

So is there anything that needs to be done to prevent false positives
happening right after the shutdown?

They said they were emptying the zone files, not actually "listing the
world" - so this shouldn't cause false any positives - but might cause
some false negatives, especially for anyone who was overly relying on
SORBS in their spam filtering? But yet - after some years - lists like
this - once they've been dead for many many years - do /sometimes/ "list
the world" as a final push to get others to stop using them - if that
even ever happens with SORBS? And if it ever did, I doubt that would
happen anytime soon.

But definately make sure that your spam filter is ONLY ever acting on
specific and valid SORBS return codes - and NOT treating ANY query being
resolved that isn't NXDOMAIN - as a listing. Anyone */misusing/* SORBS
in that way - might one day have a very bad day. But that's a general
truth for all DSNBLs - make sure your rules/setup for its usage only
treat it as a valid listing when specific return codes are returned,
that match that DNSBL's instructions, and thus */NOT/* taking action
just because /some /IP address was resolved by the query.

/(I think any built-in/default SpamAssassin rules for SORBS - already
does all of this correctly.)/

Rob McEwen, invaluement

Hi Rob and list,

Speaking as a small user of SORBS via SpamAssassin 4.0, I assume the
correct response to disable use of SORBS is to place the following in my
local.cf file:

    dns_query_restriction deny sorbs.net

Is that correct and is there any additional portions of local.cf I need
to configure so that I am no longer consulting SORBS ?

Thanks,

- J