When is Bulk "Bulk"?

The reason I ask is because I have a client who sends unsolicited e-mails to
prospective clients. But he does this manually by visiting relevant web
sites and then one-at-a-time, he personally e-mails these prospective
clients. I don't consider this spam because it is not bulk and my client can
actually tell you who he e-mailed that day and why.

Still, this is a very slippery slope... what happens if he e-mails 50 such
addresses that he manually spotted using a generic form letter? Would that
be spam? I'm thinking "yes".

...However, if these e-mails are sent one at a time and individualized to
the recipient in a way that could NOT possibly be computer generated (not
another "I visited your web site and I think its great" statements... but
meaningful content that only a person with knowledge of the recipient could
write)... in that case, I think he is ok, even if most of each letter came
from a generic "template".

Maybe there are no hard & simple rules... but I'd sure love some additional
advice?

Rob McEwen
PowerView Systems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]