Matt Kettler wrote:
"Therefore, to me, and many others, it doesn't matter how few messages there
are, or how individual the message is. If it's unsolicited email of a
commercial nature, it's spam. Period."

BTW - Matt, would an e-mail asking for link exchanges between web sites be
considered "commercial". What about unsolicited political or non-profit
e-mails? Also, regarding any major ISPs definitions of spam being any
unsolicited message, I wonder how many actually enforce that? And, of the
ones which do enforce it, I wonder many of these also block mail where one
of their users simply forgot he subscribed to something or was just too lazy
to unsubscribe and simply reported the non spam as spam. I've heard some
horror stories where AOL blocked double-opt-in newsletters because of
misguide complains from customers complaining about mail that they had
actually opted into.

Also, [EMAIL PROTECTED] referred me to the spam laws:

http://www.spamlaws.com

Ironically, in these two replies to my original message so far, (from Matt
and Matthew) (1) one cites U.S. laws which are a VERY loose definition of
spam (2) The other has a much stricter definition of spam.

In fact, SpamHaus's splits the difference between these two extreme
definitions.

http://www.spamhaus.org/definition.html

Does anyone else consider SpamHaus's definition as too weak and believe that
ANY unsolicited e-mail is spam, even if a personally hand-typed note?

Just an observation, if the only kind of unsolicited e-mail we ever received
were personally typed solicitations and all other spam were eliminated, then
there would have never been a need for SpamAssassin and 99.9999% of all spam
would be gone.

--Rob McEwen