mouss wrote:
> since most filters skip large messages, it may be tempting for spammers
> to send large messagess:
>
> - using a large but "invisible" part (either by using mime and putting a
> large text part in an alternative mime, or using "invisible" chars
> before their own text).
>
> - using a large image
>
> - large "tail" (spammers can append anything....).
>
> - "unused" attachments
>
> questions:
> - has this already been seen?

I've not seen it with dummy text, but I have seen the large image spam. However,
it's very rare. The problem being that if you're a large-volume spammer, large
messages take a longer time to send, and thus reduce your spams/minute.

There's only one spammer that's done this to me. There's some group of stores in
Guatemala that sends me high-res scans of their newspaper.

Consejeros en Finanzas Empresariales, some kind of bank
La Cuacao  - some kind of electronics shop? or an eye doctor?
cefesa hardware - a True Value hardware store.

Why anyone in Guatemala thinks I'll visit their store to spend "Q. 22" on a
patio log fake fire log or "Q. 85" on a generic brand weed and feed fertilizer
is beyond me.

But other than these guys, I don't get any spams >250kb.

> - how can we mitigate this?

Personally, I think it is largely self-mitigating. Their size greatly limits
their potential distribution.

As I see it,  there's very little large-spam out there.

> my first thought would be to "process" the message before passing it to
> the filter. In particular, are there drawbacks/benefits if I remove
> attachments before passing them to SA (or any other filter)?

Well, SA automatically ignores attachments in recent versions. However,
hash-based plugins like razor, dcc, and pyzor work best when seeing all the
attachments.