Mark Martinec wrote:
  http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/fig1.gif
    Spam score vs. IP distance in hops (our server is
    in European academic network Geant)

This one is amazing. there seems to be an empty space (most mail has nhops <= 10 or => 14). I would "guess" that most ham wih large nhops is from mailing lists. so the question is what would be the graphic if you take into account:
- mailing lists forwarding
- multiple "internal" hops at either sender or receiver (I have N Received headers added by my own MTA. and for mail fetched from an MSP, there are still more....).

I would conjecture that most legitimate mail has two "real" hops (the sending MTA and the receiving MTA).