On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 02:46:41PM -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
> Of course, this can't work if you're using any kind of encapsulation options
> in
> report_safe, but since MailScanner does all the markup itself, it doesn't hurt
> it to send Mail::SpamAssassin a truncated version. Converting this to the
> spamc/spamd model might be kind of difficult due to this, but it's worth
> considering for spamc -c.

It's been suggested before, but it doesn't quite work for SA
unfortunately.  SA is designed to be a generic mail filter, and some
rules/plugins/etc expect to be able to see the entire original contents
of the message, so we can't really trim off pieces.  Also, things like
spamc have no concept of what a message actually is, they just read in
a bunch of data and send it somewhere, so the full message would have to
be read in by spamd before anything could be trimmed off of it.  At that
point there's not a lot of savings in trimming off attachments (though the
raw versions could potentially be stored in temp files instead of memory).

And then, as you said, with encapsulation and such, we'd need the whole of the
message anyway.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"NT is secure.... as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap." - G. Myers