Marc Perkel wrote:
But I have no control over the servers that forward to me. Thus SPF is useless.

so, again, bottom line:

SMTP is broken.  has been, phishing, forgeries, email viruses prove it.

YOU fix it without breaking something.
It can't be done.
All you can do is compromise., and ps, SPF doesn't break forwarding, its the other way around: forwarding breaks SPF.

If you can't come up with a proposal (something SPAML list has argued about for 12 years) to fix it without breaking it than there really is no need to attempt to educate you any further.

Turn off SMTP, firewall port 25, no more email problems.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
SECNAP Network Security / www.secnap.com