> Massimiliano Hofer wrote:
> > We have
> > rather successfull anti-spam legislation and, except for
> botnets, really
> > little spam originates here.
> >

> Right ... but it's those botnets that this plugin is trying to catch.

I use greylisting for this, and it works great to me. Also, it simply
challenges the peer about some Rfc 2821 compliance (a 4xx error is a temporary
one and every good 2821-compliant server MUST retry).

> And, while I may be a little unyielding wrt to people whose ISPs are
> like Telecom Italia, I'm not unsympathetic.  I think, in this case, if
> Italy did get mass quarantined by the rest of the world, it might cause
> enough of an uproar to force Telecom Italia to change its practices and
> allow custom RDNS.  That wont make your life any easier in the meantime,
> though.  I understand that ... but I honestly think it's the right stand
> to take from my side of each SMTP transaction.

The problem is not only Telecom Italia (who, besides, may even care nothing
about their customers' mail being dropped: it's basicly a monopoly).

I see also a "theoretical" one. Internet is meant to be a medium with much more
freedom than other ones.

Basicly, the main idea behind internet is that you get a static IP and you do
whatever (legal) thing you like with it, without having to further rely on your
connectivity provider for this.

This include even run a legitimate mx. There is no RFC stating you need to
relay your mail to your ISP if you're too small. And it wouldn't make sense as
long as even RFCs (i.e.: the interoperability standard) are available to
everybody for free.

This is a concept which is far away from other media. Try to get ITU-T or ANSI
standards for free: while you have to be a big company if you want to run your
own telephone system, it isn't needed to run your own mx.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the destinator of an e-mail has to accept
each and every e-mails: he/she too has the freedom to accept or discard it. But
I wouldn't like to be discriminated just because of my company's size: this is
well out of the Internet idea.

By strictly enforcing DNS/RDNS ruling you basicly discriminate small companies
(the ones that can't afford buying a /24 net from Ripe or Arin and run their
own RDNS) from the big ones (the ones for which a /24 would even be ridiculus).
You are not going to create troubles to Telecom Italia this way, you are going
to help them to stay in their big business: their customers will be enforced to
use Telecom's servers to relay mail, which means to have to adjust to their
off-service schedules and maybe even e-mail policies. Actually it doesn't
happen, but what if Telecom wakes up in a morning with the idea that its
customers have to pay a fee for each domain for which they relay mail through
its servers?

This is why I think that your plugin is a useful mean to give hints to SA, but
I would like to definitely lower its scores.

> I suppose the rate at which people may or may not adopt this plugin when
> it's finished will tell us how many people agree with my stance.

Not quite, if they lower the scores... :)

Giampaolo Tomassoni - IT Consultant
Piazza VIII Aprile 1948, 4
I-53044 Chiusi (SI) - Italy
Ph: +39-0578-21100