John Rudd wrote:

a) if you're big, have reverse DNS that works, looks like a server, and doesn't look like a client (ie. the things Botnet looks for).

b) if you're small:
i) try to get your ISP to do the right thing (above) with your reverse DNS, or ii) get a hosted service that does the right thing (above) with your reverse DNS, or
 iii) use your ISP's outgoing mail server for your outbound mail, or
iv) don't have separate outgoing and incoming mail servers (ie. your outgoing mail server's IP address should be resolved by a hostname in either your mail domain's MX record, or your mail domain's A record)

And then use some heuristics like Botnet* to get rid of the hosts that don't conform to the above.

(* the next version of Botnet is going to have an option for exempting messages in case b-iv: if the sender's mail domain leads back to the relay's IP address, then ignore the fact that it has botnet-like DNS ... but I'll probably put a cap on the number of IP A records and MX records Botnet will look at, to prevent spammer abuse ... a SOHO shop probably wouldn't have more than a few)

I've had Botnet 0.6 running for a few days now, with a spamassassin score of 1.0 for testing. I have only 25 users, and we get about 1000 messages per day, of which about 75% is spam. Botnet hits on a very large proportion of the spam.

So far I've identified about a dozen of our regular correspondents that run afoul of botnet. Most of them have the IP address in the reverse DNS problem. For fun, I tried a few tests of your b-iv rule mentioned above and found that it would not fix the false positives.

I think the false positives are coming almost entirely from small businesses running an in-house exchange server. I also think that a lot of them use a filtering service like postini in front of their exchange machine, which effectively makes it appear that their incoming and outgoing servers are different.

I haven't decided yet if I will go on a crusade to notify all the problem domains (they are my clients, so I can't afford to annoy them) or if I will whitelist all of them or if I will back off on botnet.

Mark