Phil Barnett wrote:
On Thursday 21 June 2007 03:38, Matthias Keller wrote:

Just try to delete the downloaded files in your rules_du_jour folder
(for example /etc/mail/spamassassin/rules_du_jour/* ), respectively just
the rule(s) that go wrong.I then redownloads the rules correctly and
you're clear to go with RDJ again

Did that two days ago. And everything came in fine and worked. I linted it then and tonight and the current ruleset lints fine.

The error messages are from the RDJ script pulling in a new file. It does look like the RDJ script is pulling the wrong file because the lint error shows html tags and there aren't any in my current tripwire.cf file.

If it is true that there are no updates, then why is the RDJ script trying to update anything? Is the RDJ server still being DOS'd
The Problem occurs because RDJ once fetched a page which wasn't the rules but a HTML page. Now the config didn't lint anymore but RDJ doesn't delete the offending page but assumes, that the page will be updated soon to fix the lint error. The downloaded HTML page now has a current timestamp and since the real .cf file is older and there hasn't been an update since, the newer HTML page is kept and fails to lint every time until you manually delete it (and the actual .cf gets redownloaded) or a new version of the .cf is uploaded... RDJ ONLY redownloads a rule from the server IF it has been modified since the timestamp of the local file... If RDJ would delete failing files, it would solve that problem but lead to more traffic to the server, especially when ddoses happen, because everyone would try to redownload all the pages all the times....

Matt