On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, John Rudd wrote:

Bart Schaefer wrote:
On 10/17/07, Tom Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just thought if anyone hasn't read it yet, this article might be
interesting to many of you. According to this report SPAM has now
reached being 95% of all email.

This is hyperbole.

What it really means is that 95% of the mail processed by someone's
commercial spam filter has been classified, possibly incorrectly, as
spam.  The rates are much lower (though still too high for comfort) if
false positives are accounted for.

See, for example:  http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.14617

My observation, both at work and at home, is that 95% is pretty close to true.

  Same here.  At home about 97% (~1200 rejected a day at mta with
  scores above 15, no less.  And this is at home!).

  At work we fluctuate between 94-96% pure (absolutely pure!) spam.

  I definitely love my spamassassins :)

--
Happy cheese in fear                 | Jon Trulson
against oppressor, rebel! | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Brocolli, hostage. -Unknown | #include <std/disclaimer.h>