Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Randal, Phil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hyperbole?
>>
>> Well, let's take a look at the figures on my mail relay boxes
>
> Not to single out Phil, but so far everyone is quoting (among other
> things) the percentage of mail that they reject out of hand.  You're
> all 100% confident that none of those were false positives?

We are currently running around 90%. It varies weekly. That includes all
smtp blocking as well as filtering and detection. I can say we have no
false positives. We are small enough that if there were a false
positive, my support staff would be opening a trouble ticket toot sweet.
Our clients have no problems calling up and screaming that we are
costing them millions and millions of dollars every time we stop a message.

> My point was that "rejected/filtered by anti-spam techniques" and "is
> spam" are not synonymous, but nearly everyone who publishes spam
> figures behaves as if they were, and most of them have a vested
> interest in making the number sound as big and scary as possible.

My interest is in seeing the numbers smaller and smaller. I would love
to have numbers like 10% spam along with no customer complaints. That
would mean spam was slowing down and I could spend that anti-spam money
on other things I need for our NOCs. Things that make us money.

But I understand your point, I take everything written/spoken/published
by product suppliers and pundits with a large grain of salt.

DAve

Veterans?