now it works without error, but doesn't report that anything was updated

Sounds like it's working then. You can check the exit code to see if there was an update (it's in the man page).

/usr/bin/sa-update --allowplugins --gpgkey D1C035168C1EBC08464946DA258CDB3ABDE9DC10 --channel saupdates.openprotect.com --channel updates.spamassassin.org

That doesn't look right to me. Those two channels use different keys, so if you want to update both of them you should tell sa-update to trust both keys.

Regards
/Jonas

PS. I'm very sceptical to the idea of --allowplugins.

--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet
http://whatever.frukt.org/