Michael Hutchinson wrote:
--- original message ---________________________________________
From: Tony Bunce [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, 26 February 2008 5:54 a.m.
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: [OT] Yahoo Deferred

Sorry for the Off Topic thread but I'm at a loss.

Is anyone else having issues sending mail to Yahoo?

They are returning 421 Message temporarily deferred to every message my >servers try to
send.  My server then retries like it should but yahoo never >accepts the message, even
after day of retrying.    Google turned up >several people having the same issue but no
one with a solution.  My DSN is >right, I have SPF records, and sign outgoing messages
using DomainKeys.

I've filled out every form on the yahoo support site without any luck at >all.  Anyone else
seeing this problem or know of a way to get to a real >person at yahoo?  There are a few
reports online that yahoo has a paid >support phone number that will fix the problem but no
one list a phone >number, and as much as I don't want to pay yahoo just to accept my messages
> I'm running out  of options and the customer complaints are getting more >frequent every
day.

Ahem. <mutters stuff about yahoo, for minutes, before replying>

OK now I've calmed down... We have the Yahoo issue as well. It caused major problems for us as a large client of ours has a lot of workers that use Xtra (now yahoo) email addresses for home. And all of a sudden, mail stopped being delivered from the clients server to Xtra/Yahoo email boxes.
We were not receiving a bounce, though, the messages were being tagged as Spam
and being automatically filed under the Yahoo user's Spam folder, which they do
not see unless they log into webmail. Apparently this is because of Yahoo's
per-user Bayesian database. In other words, if we'd have to be willing to talk
every Xtra user through logging into webmail and training the Bayes filter by
telling it what messages are/aren't spam, until it properly delivers mail.
Which we are not. Why should we, it's not like our clients mail server has been
spamming Yahoo.

I have contacted Telecom and Xtra about the issue, and they're unable to help... The
situation is "out of their control". Fair enough, so I tried to contact Yahoo.
What a joke. By the time they've sent you a bulk mail form (which is just trying to get
you to agree that you're a bulk mailer, an opportunity for them to ignore the problem) 3
or 4 times, and you agree to fill it out, and do, and wait and wait and wait, and lo and
behold, nothing happens.

There is no Network Operations Centre to contact at Yahoo, or if there is one,
they're keeping it to themselves. This is rather irresponsible from a provider
point of view. How are people supposed to report complex issues with a service,
if the people you _DO_ get to talk to are just low-level
help-you-with-your-email-password worker-bee's who know nothing about email
delivery behind the scenes?

I have tried different approaches, and let us not forget I have filled out 3 whitelist forms, and received no response from Yahoo. Their service is breaking RFC's by not delivering mail. They are ignorant towards other companies trying to use their service.
But they do deliver the mail. You've even said so above. If this is for paid for accounts, I can see there being an issue. If it is for free accounts, how do you think they make their money to support free accounts? By requiring the free accounts to login to do some things.