Jo Rhett wrote:
On Jun 20, 2008, at 11:49 AM, John Hardin wrote:
10.x is (supposedly) not routable on the public internet. If you see 10.x (or other RFC-1918) traffic coming in from the world, your ISP is broken.

You don't run packet sniffers on your hosts much, do you? ;-)

Does your ISP filter egress packets on your interface? No, neither does mine ;-) (and in this case I control the border routing so I know it for sure)

Most competent ISPs will filter customer interfaces to prevent bogons, and some will filter public peering ports for bogons, but even with both of those a surprising number of 10.x packets make their way to our hosts.

belt-and-suspenders: Even if it's unlikely for a 10.x packet to reach the host, why should I trust it?

I've never had an ISP/hoster block bogons, but I've never let them in. it's part of the first rules in ipf/pf/iptables/router/$FW (and in both directions. so my networks never send packets with bogon IPs to the internet). if you don't partition the network correctly, you'll have a lot of problems trying to deal with such annoyances.