Jo Rhett wrote:
On Jun 22, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Matt Kettler wrote:
Just because a packet can get theredoesn't mean they can deliver mail. (by the way, IMO you're *insane* for not having a something in place that filters such things. A simple PIX firewall at your border with "ip verify reverse-path" enabled would do the job nicely. On a budget simple ACLs in your border routing would do. Step up to at least 1980's grade network security. seriously.)

Matt, what exactly does insulting me gain you, me, or this list? Really? Better yet, what does insulting me from an incorrect assumption gain you?

Fair enough. I mis-read your post to assume that nobody was filtering such bogus packets. You were merely talking about your ISP not filtering them, which apparently is a non-issue since you filter them yourself. I'm not quite so sure why you raised it as a problem of concern, but fair enough. My apologies.

So if your border is filtering such bogus packets, why are you still worried about an outsider convincing your mailserver is delivering mail from a 10.* ip? Are you concerned about this attack from within your network somewhere that isn't subject to filtering? Or are you concerned they're going to bypass your filtering in some manner?

Again, this is about an outsider delivering mail to your mailserver an convincing it that 10.x.x.x, an internal subnet, is delivering mail to it. Right?

I've not seen such mass IP forgery going on. Have you? Of course not, because it pretty much can't be done.

With a statement such as this you demonstrate that you aren't in the security field, and don't read either security papers or security mailing lists ... so I'm really not sure how to respond to you, honestly. I'm not trying to be rude, but your statement has no basis in reality.
Actually I do. I know about the TCP window based enhancement of the attack, etc. I also know a lot of those papers are highly theoretical, and don't work in reality across a broad internet. Again, if it really worked so well, you'd see a *LOT* of spam forging IPs. I've never seen one in the real world.

Not only can it be done for given short-term purposes, but there are at least 3 toolkits which test systems and then generate entire forged TCP streams at the hosts. They are remarkably effective. I haven't found one which works 100% against modern FreeBSD, which is what we are running, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And a toolkit which takes 100 or 200 attempts to succeed... is easy to accomplish on multi-gig networks without raising even the slightly alarm.
Ok, can you actually do it? Can you deliver mail to an outside network's SMTP with a spoofed source IP that doesn't route back to you?

I'm not saying blind spoofing is wholesale impossible. However, doing it long enough to deliver mail, and across an internet, and communicating with any sort of reasonable host with decent ISN generation, isn't practical. Add a reasonable firewall that's dropping packets from the source IP you're using and it becomes difficult beyond then realm of realistic attacks that a spammer would ever employ. (nobody's going to take the time to exploit your firewall just to deliver spam with a spoofed source address to your mailserver).

Perhaps you want to show me the syslog message your system generates when it receives a TCP session id that isn't in use? No, my operating system doesn't generate one either. (however my IDS will notice this and log it, but that doesn't mean my mail server should trust it)
My OS wouldn't. I suspect the Cisco ASA would log these as "Deny TCP (no connection)", due to their ISN not matching any established connection, but I'd have to check if this logging occurs on ISN mismatch.

But logs, while nice, won't really help you if an attacker is successful here.

NOW perhaps we can stop talking about networking? Because this isn't about networking, really. It's about SpamAssassin. I don't want my spamassassin to trust something it shouldn't receive. That's the nature of the question.

True, but if you assume IPs can be spoofed, then SA can't trust anything at all. If they can spoof one IP, they can spoof anything. That's of great concern to SA, because it would break *many* things about SpamAssassin's fundamental design.

Personally, I have yet to see evidence this attack can be successfully carried out over the internet well enough to deliver mail to a SMTP server on a blind basis.