Jo Rhett wrote:

If you do get a connection attempt from a non routable address on your SMTP servers external interface, you should have no way to acknowladge the connection if your own border router is configured correctly.

You are assuming that there is enough infrastructure to provide a border router.

Yes that was my assumption.

If you haven't got your own border router, then the router(s) your provider(s) uses to route packets between your public network and the Internet is/are the border router(s).

Wich of course makes everything different since you can't make sure those routers are configured correctly. :-/

So please disregard my comment about your border router.

Because again, why should the host trust an IP address which should never reach it?

I don't know, and I never suggested you do.

Then again, the trust setting in SA is about trusting Received headers and not only about trusting hosts that connect directly to the system. So in order to have a working unbroken trust path that correctly mirrors reality it *might* be neccessary to include hosts that relays mail but never connects directly to the server running SA.

Whether this applies to your system or not is something I'm currently not qualified to have an opinion about.

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet