On 20.06.08 11:57, Jo Rhett wrote:
> Does your ISP filter egress packets on your interface?  No, neither
> does mine ;-)  (and in this case I control the border routing so I
> know it for sure)
>
> Most competent ISPs will filter customer interfaces to prevent bogons,
> and some will filter public peering ports for bogons, but even with
> both of those a surprising number of 10.x packets make their way to
> our hosts.

> belt-and-suspenders: Even if it's unlikely for a 10.x packet to reach
> the host, why should I trust it?

it one packet reaches your host, nothing happends. Fot the TCP/SMTP
connections to be opened, (at least) three packets must be sent, in both
directions. If you can trace to 10.x address that is not part of your
network, it's a problem. Solve this problem by configuring of your network,
firewalls, asking your ISP to do the same. Do not try to solve this problem
at SA level.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.