On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:38 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hi,

> I saw on the wiki a trick to use fake mx records in order to weed out
> spam (http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/OtherTricks).  I'm using
> Evolution at home and on my laptop and I have the spamassassin plugin
> so I'm constantly clicking the "junk" icon.  I have access to my
> shared web hosting account and I sure do get TONS of spam.  I'm a bit
> confused as to how to implement it though.  My web host uses WHM so my
> form looks something like this:
>
> digitalalias.net  14400  IN  MX  0  digitalalias.net
>
> What is 14400,

The time-to-live.  It tells the world how often (in seconds) they should
check back to see if this record has changed.  You are telling people to
check once every 4 hours.

> I'm guessing a port of some kind.  Besides that the wiki suggests that
> my first fake mx record should be set at 10, then my real mx record at
> 20, and then another fake one at 30.  Why is this since my current mx
> record is set to 0?

Lowest number wins, so to attempt this "trick" you would need to change
your current MX to be some number larger than zero so that a fake MX
could be inserted lower.

But I'm not convinced that twiddling with fake MX records will reduce
your spam level any.
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy