On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Marc Perkel wrote:

Marc Ferguson wrote:
Hi,

I'm a linux noob and a spam assassin noob so please reply in simplified language. Thanks. I saw on the wiki a trick to use fake mx records in order to weed out spam (http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/OtherTricks). I'm using Evolution at home and on my laptop and I have the spamassassin plugin so I'm constantly clicking the "junk" icon. I have access to my shared web hosting account and I sure do get TONS of spam. I'm a bit confused as to how to implement it though. My web host uses WHM so my form looks something like this:

digitalalias.net <http://digitalalias.net> 14400 IN MX 0 digitalalias.net <http://digitalalias.net>

What is 14400, I'm guessing a port of some kind. Besides that the wiki suggests that my first fake mx record should be set at 10, then my real mx record at 20, and then another fake one at 30. Why is this since my current mx record is set to 0?

fake0.example.com <http://fake0.example.com> 10
realmx.example.com <http://realmx.example.com> 20
fake1.example.com <http://fake1.example.com> 30

Hi Marc,

I'm the guy who invented the trick and yes it does work. I'm running it with

  No you aren't.

more that 4000 domains and it gets rid of more than half my spam without having to use spamassassin. I use SA too but it's very expensive to run and anything that reduces it will cut your server load.

I'm also providing a public server to harvest fake MX info to help build my blacklist. You can use this host for your fake high numbered MX. (Not a low numbered MX though)

  Que the spamvertising...

mail.yourdomain.com  10
tarbaby.junkemailfilter.com 20

--
Happy cheese in fear                 | Jon Trulson
against oppressor, rebel!            | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]