On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:52:46PM +0100, Jonas Eckerman wrote:
> Benny Pedersen wrote:
>
>> i have changed to use BadRelay from
>
>> http://sa.hege.li/BadRelay.pm
>> http://sa.hege.li/BadRelay.cf
>
> After reading BadRelay.pm I see that it does not really replace Botnet.
>
> Some of the differences in what is checked are due to Botnet doing
> DNS-lookups while BadRelay avoids that. That's fair enough since one of
> the points of BadRelay is to avoid those lookups. It does mean that
> BadRelay has less info to base decisions on than Botnet though.

Less info only if you are running a sad MTA, that doesn't properly resolve.
I guess the SOHO rule is exception, but I've never seen a need for it
myself. You can always whitelist such minority cases by hand.

> One differences is simply due to the fact that all Badrelay does is the
> simple regexp matches. BadRelay doesn't have Botnet's check for IP in
> host name, wich it could do without DNS lookups.

Check for IP in hostname? Does anyone have actual stats, that it's somehow
better than a generic \d+-\d+ regex or whatever? Sometimes it's just better
to KISS.

Btw, I haven't touched BadRelay in ages, since all these "dynamic" etc
checks should be done in MTA. I pretty much don't get anything through to SA
that would get hit by it.

> What would be nice though would be a plugin that:

All this should be generic SA stuff.. :) If only someone would have time to
revamp the current (old) rules.