John Hardin wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Kris Deugau wrote:

What do you do to push that last 5% or so of missed spam over the threshold from nonspam to spam?

Do you greylist?

Of course not. The assumption that spammers cannot follow RFCs is a silly one. There are a variety of greylisting/triplet techniques that make some sense but only if you assume that spammers won't likely use RFC complaint mailers anytime soon.

Do you use any MTA-level DNSBLs?

No. I allow spamassassin to query dcc/pyzor/spamcop, but I don't trust any one or even two of those DNS/URL blacklists with enough points to categorize something as spam on their own because all of those blacklists have had false positives. Especially spamcop.

You have to also keep in mind that there are spamassassin rules with bugs, such as the relatively recent FM_FAKE_HELO_VERIZON bug, which can lead to false positives if you aren't sufficiently cautious.

Categorizing spam in such a way that you can trust your spam box makes the spam box much more valuable. Being overly aggressive with spam filtering is more dangerous to email than spam itself.

The tendency I've observed in people is to see that you are getting 95-98% of their spam filtered (say, they were getting 200 a day, now they get 3) and they want to find some way to get the filter to catch those last three.

Delete the last three.

Best,
Jesse