On 7/26/2010 10:12 AM, andrij wrote:
>>> 2) Evaluating whether an email is spam or not. Again, if I set
>>> "bayes_ignore_header Some-header", will the bayes classifier ignore the
>>> header while evaluating an e-mail?
>> Yes.  That's what it's for.
> So, the bayes clasifier will ignore "Some-header" in both learning and spam
> detection phases. Did I understand it correctly?

I'm not an expert, just another user, but as I understand it, this
config option causes Bayes to ignore that particular header in both
learning and scoring modes.

>>> 3) Evaluating whether an email is spam or not. Does the bayes classifier
>>> analyze headers if I have, for example, the following rule: "body
>>> BAYES_05
>>> eval:check_bayes('0.00', '0.05')". According to the
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WritingRules : "Body rules also
>>> include
>>> the Subject as the first line of the body content". So, any headers that
>>> precede subject header are not considered by the bayes classifier?
>> I don't have an answer for you here, but just another question.  Why do
>> you want to mess with the bayes rules?
> Maybe I am mistaken, but what is the sense to train the bayes classifier on
> headers if headers (at least those that precede a subject header) are not
> considered during the spam detection phase?

Bayes learns based on the entire message -- headers and all.
(Otherwise, what would be the point of the bayes_ignore_header option?)

I can see where you might get that impression by looking at the rule,
but if I understand it correctly, Bayes has already been run and the
rule is just checking the result.

--
Bowie