Russ Sanders wrote:

> I have an Ubuntu Linux server running SpamAssassin Server version
> 3.2.4 running on Perl 5.8.8 with zlib support (Compress::Zlib 2.008).
> I have at least one account that is having to process from 250 - 400
> emails, 99% spam, per HOUR. This works out to be approximately 8,000
> emails per day.  The spamassassin just can't keep up and it is backing
> the Queue upto 2500 messages.  I have made an adjustment so that the
> one user can have multiple spamd children running for it, but it
> doesn't seem to take on more that 2 spamd children.

Does the client try to use more than two connections (to spamd) ?

> I have also recorded that scanning a single message appears to take
> approximately 15 seconds.  I have adjusted the timeout to 5 seconds,
> but it still appears to be taking 12 - 20 second per message.  This
> works out to 4 per minute, or 240 per hour.  So, of course, it can't
> keep up if it has 450 per hour coming at it.

AFAIR, the timeout is "whilst waiting for activity", not "for the
processing of an entire message".  I'm guessing you're having DNS
problems, or just very slow responses.  If you run a message through
spamassassin with -D, you'll be able to see.

> The system is a basic Linode running Ubuntu Linux 8.04 with 512M of
> memory.

How many CPUs/cores?

> I would like to adjust appropriately
>
> Number of Max Children