Thanks
Russ

Ned Slider wrote:

On 01/11/10 13:17, John Hardin wrote:

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Russ Sanders wrote:

Suggestions will be appreciated.

You want to do things at SMTP time to reduce your email volume.

Greylisting has been suggested; I see good results from it here.

Rejecting messages that do not have a FDQN in the HELO string works well
for me, too. I use milter-regex for this as well as for some other tests.

Are you open to SMTP-time reject based on the Zen DNSBL?

Absolutely. The 3 measures outlined by John above will massively reduce the load (number of spam) that SpamAssassin (SA) gets to see.

If you can tell us your MTA (postfix, sendmail, exim etc?) then I'm sure someone on the list will be able to point you in the right direction for implementing the above measures.

With the above measures in place, I'd estimate my SA installation sees around 10 spam for every 1,000 spam sent - 990 get rejected at the smtp stage before SA.

        Russ Sanders (r...@eacsi.com)
   Electronic And Computer Solutions, Inc
        8120 E 12th Street, Unit A
             Tulsa, OK  74112