On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Wed, 01.12.2010 at 16:13:06 +0000, Martin Gregorie <mar...@gregorie.org>
wrote:

IMO the best solution would have been a charge per e-mail provided it
was universally enforced. A small charge, e.g. $0.001 to $0.01 per
addressee per message would be almost unnoticable to a normal user or
business while still being enough to discourage volume spammers by
wiping out their profits.

How, exactly do you work that out? Send through your ISP, ISP knows who
you are anyway and collects.

I own my own domain and send all my mail via a hosted server that I administer. I _don't trust_ someone else to handle my email on my behalf.

Who do I pay? My ISP at home? My hosting provider? Myself?

  It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or
  religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own
  folly.                                              -- Henry George
 14 days until Bill of Rights day