On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:47:16 -0500
Rob McEwen <r...@invaluement.com> wrote:

> One HUGE problem is that IPv6 will be a spammer's dream and a DNSBL's
> nightmare. A spammers (and blackhat ESPs) would potentially send out
> each spam from a different IP and then not use each IP again for
> YEARS!

Actually, since the smallest allocation unit is a /64, you could switch
IP addresses once per nanosecond and not run out for almost 585 years.
If you have a /48, you could last for about 38 million years.

So at a minimium, an IPv6 DNSBL will have to list a /64, not individual
IPv6 addresses.  That's fine.  Most botnet nodes are individual home PCs
and they won't be able to pick an address outside their /64 allocation
(assuming a competent ISP... a big assumption!)

Also, DNSWLs will start becoming more important as we concentrate on
listing known-good machines.

> Personally, I prefer everyone everywhere agree that, unless the e-mail
> is password authenticated to one's own mail server, all mail be
> rejected unless the mail server had IPv4. But purists won't like that
> because their goal is to eventually *end* IPv4.

It's not just purists who won't like that.  At some point, you won't
be able to *get* an IPv4 address.

[...]

> If one or both of those were agreed upon up front--this would go a
> long way towards preventing the coming nightmare. (and forgive me of
> RFCs have already established those as absolute standards for IPv6...
> I haven't kept up with all the RFC for IPv6!)

I don't see any nightmare.  DNSBLs are a useful anti-spam tool that
will be made somewhat less effective with the advent of IPv6, but they're
by no means the only or most effective anti-spam tool we have.

Regards,

David.