Adam Katz wrote:
> I consider it a mission-critical component to be able to deliver a
> rejection notice at SMTP-time (to avoid backscatter from an emailed
> bounce message).  The other systems out there (specifically amavis and
> mailscanner) just can't do this while spamass-milter does it with very
> little overhead or configuration.

amavisd-new can be and is regularly used in a pre-queue filtering setups,
especially since the advances in a warm-reload and tighter time limiting
control on SpamAssasasin 3.3 combined more recent versions of amavisd.
These advances go hand-in-hand with a Postfix 2.7.0 new option
smtpd_proxy_options=speed_adjust. In a pre-queue filtering setup
amavisd can do a proper D_REJECT right on the incoming SMTP session,
just like a milter can (but offer added flexibility).

  Mark