On 07/09/2011 16:10, John Hardin wrote:
>> I don't want to use greylisting as I often receive legitimate email from
>> new contacts - often while I'm on the phone to them - so, introducing a
>> delay is undesirable to me.
>
> Perhaps a hybrid approach, where you greylist only if the foreign IP
> appears in a DNSBL?
> For instance:

http://www.danplanet.com/home/75-miscellaneous/114-a-dnsbl-and-greylisting-hybrid-approach

While I wasn't thinking about greylisting, a hybrid approach would make
it acceptable to me.  Perhaps, a greylist approach would be even better
than actively dropping repeated spams as, a greylist would not result in
an unacceptable false-positive in the same way as rejecting mail would.
In fact, I really like the idea of greylisting when a mail fails a DNS
block list.

>> I'd hoped that there would be a way to exploit repetition of a recently
>> received spam to improve identification...
>
> The utility of that depends strongly on how quickly repetitions come
> in. If they come in too fast you won't be able to react.

Hmm - I hadn't thought of that... I'd assumed that subsequent mails
would block while earlier ones are processed - but that seems less
likely, now I think about it explicitly.  The repeated spams seem to all
arrive during the same second - so, it's entirely possible that this
would be too fast.  Conversely, this bunching, coupled with identical
credentials, correlates strongly with SPAM, so it would make a good
thing for spamassassin to detect, if it could be made to do so.

> You should be able to set up a log watcher and firewalling or a MTA
> reject database to block an IP that submits more than N messages
> scoring as spam within one minute, but I don't think anybody will be
> able to provide a premade solution for that.

I'm trying as hard as I can to be lazy on this one... or, in other
words, I'd prefer a more 'standard' solution to avoid ending up
maintaining a grotesque hack for years to come.

>> I've had a brief look at policyd- though it seems very heavyweight for
>> what I'm trying to achieve... and I'm yet to discover a recipe to
>> identify 'just like this recent spam'...
> Same from address and source IP? That is generally logged by MTAs and
> spam tools.

This is the thing that was so very, very odd.  The message is identical
- including the headers.  If I look at the first and last spam email in
a 9-message block, then <ctrl>u to get the source, and paste them into
files... diff confirms that the messages are byte-by-byte identical.  I
don't think it's my server that's doing the duplicating... as some spams
arrive only once... even though the bulk of the spam I receive is
repeated 9 times.