Steve,

> I'm using a (mostly vanilla) Postfix/Amvisd configuration...
> [...]
> > If you look at your mail logs, do you actually see 9 messages being
> > received?
> I thought I did, but - now - I'm not so sure... because the log doesn't
> match the messages I find via IMAP. (Really!)
>
> I've attached a snippet from my syslog relating to a recent batch of 9
> messages - with domains changed to mydom.org.  As far as I can tell,
> multiple emails are sent together to my server at 15:04:34 - but funny
> things happen after that.  It looks as if the messages were intended to
> be sent to nine separate email addresses at mydom.org - but, somehow,
> they all end-up addressed to the first addressee.  All nine messages are
> sent to ste...@mydom.org - which, via a catch-all in virtual.db, gets
> delivered to st...@mydom.org. I'd have expected the To: address to be
> different in each - but it isn't.

Sep  8 15:04:43 svr amavis[9242]: (09242-14)
  Passed SPAM, [208.30.118.112] [208.30.118.112]
  <adelama...@boimail.com> ->
    <st...@svr.mydom.org>,<st...@svr.mydom.org>,<st...@svr.mydom.org>,
    <st...@svr.mydom.org>,<st...@svr.mydom.org>,<st...@svr.mydom.org>,
   <st...@svr.mydom.org>,<st...@svr.mydom.org>,
mail_id: 0eFkT73PzE2y, Hits: 25.936, size: 1608, queued_as: E24C916C02A6,
8169 ms

This was a single message, addresses to 8 recipients, all of which
happen to be you. It is normal that you received 8 copies and they
all look the same.

Looks like your virtual alias mapping or alias maps in MTA or in some milter
or before an MTA rewrote original recipients to steve.

> Is this a bug with Amvisd (possibly exposed my malformed messages)?

Mail header section (and addresses therein) have no effect on mai
delivery. All addresses are sent out-of-band in an SMTP envelope.
Neither amavisd nor an MTA care about To and Cc in a mail header.

> Is there some other trick I'm missing - for example, some caveat about
> using spamassassin with postfix virtual aliases?

Double check your address mappings in MTA.

  Mark