On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Tue, 2014-07-01 at 15:37 -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:

On 07/01/2014 03:29 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 2014-07-01 at 19:17 +0000, Jeremy McSpadden wrote:
No mention of RBLs or greylisting ...

Quite.

When my ISP switched on greylisting my mail immediately went from a
spam:ham ratio of 80:20 to one of 20:80

But the variable delay, which is not under your control?

You're right: its not.

My users complained loudly about that minority of mails which took an hour to arrive. I had to turn it off.

I know what can happen, and also that those complaints can arise from a
total misunderstanding of what e-mail is designed to do: that it is
*not* an instant messaging medium but it is a reliable one despite
delivering over sometimes flaky networks. IOW demanding instant e-mail
delivery is quite unreasonable.

+1

And if your business is predicated on instant e-mail you are setting yourself up for pain.

If it needs to be *instant*, have them visit a web page to enter service requests.

  It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the
  constant victim of brutal attacks.              -- Malcolm X (1964)
 3 days until the 238th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence