On 07/01/2014 09:53 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

Frankly, it appears you don't understand what auto-learning is.

So please specify, explicitly, what it is. I asked some specific questions about it. And I'm very interested in the answers.

Is auto-learn still system-wide? I'd need it to apply to individual users. Is it in-memory only? Or can I have it update the users' filedb token databases?

If it's now per user and uses the user databases, then I am more than ready to reconsider my opinion. But I've not been able to get a clear answer to this. I haven't had an opportunity to test. And I'd want confirmation from someone in the know anyway, before I changed strategies.

This method shields the user from the worst of the spam, while giving
them full control of what gets relearned as spam.

Wrong. It is not "this" (your) method, that shields the user from the
worst of the spam. That's SA. Not your style of auto-training.

Mine is not autotraining at all. it's giving the user a way of explicitly training the backend spam filter.

And unless you disabled Bayes auto-learning in SA (dunno, might have
been mentioned deep in the thread), the user does not have full control
of what gets relearned as spam.

I have disabled autolearning. I thought I mentioned that to you.

(Besides, you *are* doing auto-learning, which you just claimed to be a
complete joke.)

No. The messages are assumed ham until the user classifies it as spam. It is explicit learning. Under user control,

At this point I won't get into details. It should suffice to highlight
that a default ham auto-learning threshold of 0.1 is part of the safety
concepts. (See the M::SA::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold man-page for more.)

I really don't think you understand what it is I'm doing. Anything below a score of 5.0 goes into their mailbox and learned as ham. If it's ham, that's great. If it's spam, they move it to Junk and it gets learned as spam. auto-learn is as brain dead as the defunct AWL.

I never checked the TB internal Bayes implementation and auto-learn
strategy, but I'd be surprised if they do train on black/white, without
any gray area in between.

Optimally, I would have an "incoming folder" and then the user could manually move the messages from there to spam or ham. But considering that this was not even remotely necessary with our old email provider, I don't feel that I can put my users to that level of extra trouble that they never even thought about having to deal with before, just because SA is not performing as well as the spam filter they are used to. The mail needs to go into the inbox directly. And for SA's bayesian tp work, it needs to be assumed as ham initially.

The only thing I see which might change my view would be explicit details about where autolearn stores its data and how it is used on a per user basis.

-Steve