On Sunday 17 August 2014 at 16:37:36 (EU time), Linda Walsh wrote:

>     No... fetchmail fetches them, "sendmail" rejects them because they
> don't have a resolvable domain.  My sorting and spamassassin scripts
> get called after the email  makes it through sendmail.  My scripts don't
> see the email.

> My ISP's MX has accepted it, because it doesn't do domain checking.  My
> machine's MX rejects it so fetchmail keeps trying to deliver it.

It sounds to me as though you are perfectly capable (and willing) to run an MX
server of your own, so why not just register your own domain, and have the MX
for it pointed at your own machine, where you can apply whatever filter/reject
rules you like, with complete freedom?

You might be able to get a combined hosting provider / registrar to act as
backup MX for you for a reasonable price too (it's never good to have only a
single MX).

> It wasn't when I signed up.   Cost $100 extra/month.  Now only $30
> extra/month that I don't host the domain with them.

You can get a hosted root-server VM with a static IP for less than $30/month.
Your own machine, your own choice of software, your own rules, and cheaper
too.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Linux is going to be part of the future. It's going to be like Unix was."

 - Peter Moore, Asia-Pacific general manager, Microsoft

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.