On 8/15/2014 9:08 PM, Linda A. Walsh wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in showing their ISP "the
light"...
Oh well....

Linda, is your email domain tlinx.org? I'm assuming that it is because there is an under construction web page on that domain and I cannot imagine a commercial ISP putting an under construction web page on a
domain they own.

Anyway, getting back to the technical aspects of your problem,

I'm gonna assume that for whatever reason (maybe your out in the boonies and are still on a dialup) that you cannot simply setup a Linux box behind a broadband connection and use some provider like dydns.org (or whatever they are calling themselves now) and accept your own
email.

And because of that your forced to use a commercial mailserver then fetch mail from that.

If that is the case, I am suspecting that you are PERHAPS confusing
what is called the "envelope" address with the "header" address in
the incoming email.

The envelope address is passed during the SMTP handshake. That is almost certainly being checked for validity by your ISP and it is
passing.

The header address is supplied during the DATA phase and as such
it is part of the mail message content. In general, you cannot filter on this during the SMTP handshake since it isn't supplied until the
mailserver already has agreed to accept the message.

Instead it must be filtered during the content filtering phase, after
the mail has been accepted.

I do understand that from a user's POV it is very confusing to see a message in your inbox that says From: fakeaddress@fakedomain but
if you actually looked at the full header of the email, you would
see the REAL and legitimate from address (assuming your ISP has
turned on the feature that displays the envelope address used by
the SMTP sender in the header)

For example here is the header fragment of your post that is in MY mailbox: