Jim Clausing wrote:
> What I haven't noticed anyone else mention is that I was getting that error
> message even though the perl on my Ubuntu 14.04 system is 5.18.2.

You left off your spamassassin version.  I assume 3.4.0?  On my Debian
sid system.  (But never use Unstable for a production system.  Not
unless you enjoy having your house on fire every so often.)

  $ spamassassin --version
  SpamAssassin version 3.4.0
    running on Perl version 5.20.1

There have been multiple facets to this problem.  The first was a rule
update that produced warnings that produced email from every cron run
sa-update / sa-learn run if run on recent released spamassassin 3.4.0
but not the development trunk version.  Therefore it hit almost
everyone running any type of production system.  It hit your Ubuntu
14.04 system.  That was mitigated by disabling the rule for the time
being.

The capability then being discussed was a suggested version gate using
an if expression syntax.  This is the spamassassin config parser "if",
not the perl "if".  That if expression worked for most but it had
problems on a quite a bit older perl 5.8.8 still in wide use in
RHEL5.  It is somewhat surprising that the spamassassin config parser
would have a sensitivity there but regardless so it does.

Your Ubuntu 14.04 system with perl 5.18.2 probably also is running
spamassassin 3.4.0 like my Debian Sid system.  It wasn't running the
development trunk spamassassin.  Therefore the dynamic rule update
emitted that warning for you too.  But the new suggested rule using
the improved if expression gating syntax will work okay for you.

Hope that helps,
Bob