On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:11:16 +0100
Antony Stone <antony.st...@spamassassin.open.source.it> wrote:

> On Monday 09 November 2015 at 14:23:04, Phil Reynolds wrote:
>
> > I have recently transferred all of my email system to a new machine,
> > but spamassassin is not yet fully functional.
> >
> > It seems that it is trying to use /var/mail/.spamassassin as a data
> > directory - this is fine, but it does not appear to be correctly
> > set up.
> >
> > Errors like these are appearing in my syslog:
> >
> > Nov  9 12:02:30 fitzalan spamd[8916]: config: cannot create user
> > preferences file /var/mail/.spamassassin/user_prefs: Permission
> > denied Nov  9 12:02:30 fitzalan spamd[8916]: spamd: failed to
> > create readable default_prefs: /var/mail/.spamassassin/user_prefs
>
> Well, what are the ownership & permissions on:
>
> /var/mail/,spamassassin

Tried root.root and debian-spamd.debian.spamd, 755.

> /var/mail/.spamassassin/user_prefs

Not there at all.

> and which user does spamassassin run as on your system?

root - which I'm slightly surprised at.

> > What can I do to get this directory right and working? Also, what
> > do I need to do to enable access to spamd from my other machines,
> > where the mail is actually read?
>
> You said "I have recently transferred all of my email system to a new
> machine" and yet now you are saying there are other machines
> involved...
>
> I suggest you describe your setup so we can understand what you're
> doing a bit better.
>
> In the subject you said this was Debian Jessie, but are you running
> Debian's standard MTA Exim4, or another one?

Yes, exim4, from Debian.

> Is "this machine" acting as a mail gateway, performing all filtering
> on inbound mail, and what are the other machines "where the mail is
> actually read" doing? What email applications run on those?

Yes, this is the mail gateway, filtering, and providing the services
needed for the MUAs to use. The other machines are my desktop/general
purpose machine, and my laptop, both running claws-mail with the
spamassassin plugin, and my phone, running K9Mail. My other users
either use a .forward directive to forward their mail elsewhere or use
mutt, on the general purpose machine.

claws-mail's plugin is supposed to allow spamassassin to be trained as
to what is spam and what is ham, on those occasions it decides
incorrectly.

> How is spamassassin being called in order to give its opinion on
> email?

exim is calling it. The results also appear in syslog.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-spamassas...@tinsleyviaduct.com