On Monday 09 November 2015 at 16:23:52, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:11:16 +0100 Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > What are the ownership & permissions on:
> >
> > /var/mail/,spamassassin
>
> Tried root.root and debian-spamd.debian.spamd, 755.

What did Jessie install it as?

> > /var/mail/.spamassassin/user_prefs
>
> Not there at all.

Have you tried creating it, to let spamd look in it?

> > and which user does spamassassin run as on your system?
>
> root - which I'm slightly surprised at.

How did you identify this?

> > How is spamassassin being called in order to give its opinion on
> > email?
>
> exim is calling it. The results also appear in syslog.

1. I seriously doubt that on a Debian system exim is running as root.

What do you see in the first column of output from "ps aux | grep exim"?

2. It sounds like we're talking slightly at cross-purposes here.  Exim may be
calling spamassassin (PS: how?), but that's not spamd, providing a network
service to other machines.

What do you see in the first column of output from "ps aux | grep spamd"?

Antony.

--
Users don't know what they want until they see what they get.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.