Am 24.11.2015 um 19:47 schrieb David Jones:
Could this be dependent on the MTA used?  I am using Postfix
which puts in Received headers like this:

That IP has a PTR record but it doesn't match the SMTP HELO of
econnect.dmsgs.com so Postfix is putting in the 'unknown' causing
the RDNS_NONE hit on more than just no rDNS.

This has been true for years in my SpamAssassin platform
filtering about 95K mailboxes so in my case, the RDNS_NONE
does mean a FCrDNS (full circle DNS) check failed and the wiki
is correct.

Maybe this SA rule works differently on other MTAs

and that is why i call it harmful to completly rely on the Received header instead doing the DNS lookup based on the IP which would have a lot of advantages:

* less error prone
* even when the MTA had a timeout a chance that this
  DNS rqeuest get answered properly, the MTA treats
  a timeout *completty* different and would *not*
  reject a mail if the answer is not an NXDOMAIN even
  if it is configured for reject clients without a PTR
* SpamAssassin has *no clue* what the "unknown" means
  it could have been a timeout or a NXDOMAIN

disadvantages - zero - there is no overhead for a chached DNS query