I agree with you if the SA server is configured with a local caching
DNS server that is not forwarding and the /etc/resolv.conf is
pointing to 127.0.0.1.

We have seen a number of people ask for help on this mailing
list because their DNS was not setup like this which means SA
would generate a lot more queries to the ISP or Internet DNS
servers compounding the problem with free usage limits on
some RBLs.