OK, I've been heavily shot at for my set up which is totally
irrelevant to the question I posed and not a pleasant experience. Is
there any possibility of some help with the problem I posted about?

Matus snuck in the most likely answer a while back - message size.

In Amavis it look as if the relevant option is:

$sa_mail_body_size_limit

I don't use Amavis so can't comment much but I believe that would be
the relevant setting to change. Google suggests that it may be as low
as 200kb. SpamAssassin defaults to 500kb. Of course you may still get
messages over that size. I use FuGlu to connect SA and that leaves a
handy message telling me scanning was skipped due to message size. You
don't have that but as you have no SA headers at all in the sample you
posted I'd assume it never got scanned and message size is the most
common culprit.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that. I guess I missed the reply while I was being flamed for not knowing everything about everything and not running my own DNS resolver. I'll check that when I get home but I doubt it is the setting. The message size was only about 39kB in total and bigger messages are being scanned successfully.

I'll try researching amavis more and then perhaps try their mailing lists.

I'm finding it hard here. I am using preconfigured distro where Postfix, amavis and SA are all supplied as a working set up as is dnsmasq. There is no expectation that the users need to "go under the hood" to fix or change things. In my case I've tinkered a lot with the distro, a bit with the postfix set up to harden it further and I've tightened up on dnsmasq but I've never learnt about amavis of SA. It is like when you buy a car, you expect it to work. If the fuel injection fails and you look at it; it does not then mean you are an expert at gearbox problems. Sadly, it seems here you have to be an expert at everything before you are allowed to post.

Nick