On Fri, 23 Sep 2016, Greg Troxel wrote:

"Bill Cole" <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com> writes:

On 22 Sep 2016, at 23:24, John Hardin wrote:

As far as I understand it, dnsmasq cannot be used for local
recursion; it's purely a lightweight local DNS cache layer.

Your understanding is correct; dnsmasq is unfit for service as a
resolver for a mail server because it cannot perform recursion, it
only does forwarding to other real DNS servers.

True, but I don't see harm in forwarding queries to a local recursive
server that is used only by one's own group of machines.   The problems
all appear to be from forwarding queries to resolvers run by one's ISP
or worse the google public ones.

For that use case yes, dnsmasq would be appropriate.

  You know things are bad when Pravda says we [the USA] have gone
  too far to the left.                                 -- Joe Huffman
 276 days since the first successful real return to launch site (SpaceX)