Spam/phishing emails pretending to be from Paypal won't have an
envelope-from of *@paypal.com which is why you didn't get the
desired effect.  You rarely use the blacklist_from only when there
is very dumb senders that you want to block.

A multi-level approach will give you the results you expect:
Level 1: RBLs, other DNS checks, postscreen, greylisting, etc.
Level 2: SA bayes, ClamAV w extra sigs, meta rules, RBL scores, etc.

Level 1 above is very low resource and fast.  Level 2 is more resource
intensive.  By safelisting with whitelist_auth entries for trusted senders,
you can turn up the sensitivity (increase scores) a bit more.  Level 1
will knock down the majority of junk before SA sees it.  For this reason,
you have to whitelist certain sending IPs from Level 1 using postwhite
so they get to Level 2.

Dave