On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 1:26 PM Luke Mauldin <lukemaul...@icloud.com> wrote:

> Sorry to hear about the Teams / Sharepoint migration, that seems to be
> occurring industry wide.  “Its moving to the cloud so it has to be better”.
> It also amazes me how much money and labor large companies are throwing at
> Git to have it scale to scenarios that it was never envisioned to support but
> every company has to be on Git because “thats what the developers want”.
> Every company that I have worked for that has used Git has always had a
> centralized Git repository just like SVN. From the SVN community’s
> perspective, I am curious to see their perspective on why the industry
> transitioned away from SVN to Git?

In my experience, it is the code review and branching workflows that
git enables that wins the day, With SVN the pre-commit review process
is too cumbersome and there is no real guarantee that what was
committed is what was reviewed. There have been several good solutions
for this built on Git, with the GitHub Pull Requests being the most
notable.

In environments where pre-commit code review is not part of the
culture or process I find it hard to beat the SVN workflow for ease of
use. Conceptually, I have always liked the way SVN models a versioned
file system but it has also been the achilles heel when it comes to
using folders to model branches and tags so that neither of those
features truly exist in SVN and are really more conventions that one
can adopt in the folder structure. SVN's extreme flexibility has also
made it difficult to develop some of the features we wanted like merge
tracking because it became an endless slog of dealing with weird edge
cases.

Mark