I always use the override option so I know what version I'm using and like Chris said, don't want to be locked into shipped version.

AppModule has

configuration.add(SymbolConstants.BOOTSTRAP_ROOT, "context:assets/bootstrap"); configuration.add(SymbolConstants.JAVASCRIPT_INFRASTRUCTURE_PROVIDER, "jquery");

No problems with bootstrap/jquery ever. When I first introduced this into my workflow I checked the html source code was including the right stuff - it never failed to deliver.

my bootstrap sources are in
src/main/webapp/assets/bootstrap/

This is the dist directory of a bootstrap sources d/l.

I don't recall doing much js modal stuff, but for 3rd party jquery and jqueryui libs you need to @Import them in your base page/component - e.g. jquery.cslider.js, owl.carousel.min.js, jquery.prettyPhoto.js. etc.

The order in which you import the js files has been a potential gotcha - but this happens in plain old html anyway.

The other thing you may want to include is font awesome in your base component

@Import{....
                    "context:css/font-awesome.min.css",
....}